General Surgery Billing & Coding Services
General surgery is a surgical specialty that focuses on operating on the esophagus, stomach, small intestine, large intestine, liver, pancreas, gallbladder, appendix, and bile ducts thyroid gland. GS billing & coding requires billers and coders to be proficient in the codes and terminologies used in the specialty.
General surgeons display a humongous amount of expertise by handling surgeries ranging from hernia repair to bariatric surgery. They also perform open surgeries and minimally invasive surgeries facilitated by robots. However, the evolution of top-notch technology that enables general surgeons to perform advanced surgeries also demands that they constantly learn. And upgrade to stay on track—leaving no or a negligible amount of time for general surgeons to focus on medical bills and reimbursements.
Although general surgeons, hospitals, surgical clinics, or diagnostic partners who choose to partner with RCM companies see certain improvements in their revenue, they still face improper coding or lack of follow-up. Billing & coding for general surgery requires the staff to be proficient in using global surgical packages, use modifiers for same-day procedures, and roles of surgeons. The billing & coding team should additionally document unlisted procedures, as incorrect documentation leads to lower reimbursements.
Outsourcing your general surgery billing & coding needs to Medical Billing Wholesalers offers you an immense amount of control over revenue flow and patient experience. We focus on delivering exponential revenue improvement by combining modern technology and a highly skilled workforce.
Medical Billing & Coding Services Expertise in General Surgery
At MBW, we have a client base that spans all 50 states and covers a wide range of hospitals, physician practices, surgical clinics, diagnostic partners, and medical billing companies. Our coders are proficient in ICD-9/10, CPT, HCPCS coding guidelines provided by CMS and AMA and certified by the American Academy of Professional Coders (AAPC). In addition, we bring over a decade of experience to our General Surgery Billing & Coding services.
Applying best practices for General Surgery
At MBW, we understand that excellence in general surgery coding & billing comes with experience, and we bring just that to our clients. WeCare RCM train our team or coders & billers to read in between the lines while submitting a claim to avoid confusion over E/M coding. We also understand that the improper use of packages available for General Surgery results in the loss of huge amounts of money, therefore use the codes appropriately. We ensure frequent audits to avoid snowballing losses of money caused by consistent under-billing. Our team understands the specific use of modifier 57 and exactly knows when it needs to be replaced by modifier 25.
Our expertise in general surgery includes but is not constrained to:
- Trauma surgical procedures – intubation, burr hole, and emergency laparotomy or thoracotomy
- Laparoscopic procedures on gallbladders, appendices, and colons
- Colorectal procedures for ulcerative colitis, diverticulitis, colon and rectal cancer, gastrointestinal bleeding, hemorrhoids
- Breast surgical procedures
- Vascular surgical procedures
- Endocrine surgical procedures Dermatology procedures
Benefits of our General Surgery Billing and Coding Services
We employ our extensive experience gained over decades of supporting general surgeons. As a result, medical Billing Wholesalers can reduce your staffing and administrative expenses, increase revenue, and ensure compliance with all standards with additional benefits.
- General Surgery Coders Certified by The American Association of Professional Coders (AAPC)
- Resources trained on the most common medical coding and revenue cycle Software
- Successful in processing medical claims with most commercial insurance companies, including UHC, WellPoint, Aetna, Humana BCBS, and Anthem, and government payers such as Medicare
- Successful in working with Medicare and understand state-specific Medicaid Policies
- We reduce costs and help you achieve improved clinical and operational efficiency
Our clients typically experience revenue improvement by over 20% and reduced denials by a minimum of 10%. We achieve this by applying our expertise, process rigor and by employing an excellently trained team.